Independent Fashion Retailer Increased Sales by over 11,000% On the First Day of Lockdown Using Social Media
By Emily Peagram 12 Jul 2021
Using tools from social media expert Maybe*, independent fashion retailer Keith Scarrott combined an ad spend of only £200, a well-established email list and a flash 45% off sale to drive a year-on-year orders increase of 11,367% in just six hours.
NFU Mutual small business insurance customers can now benefit from Maybe*’s social media tools and advice for free, with the commercial insurer offering a year-long Maybe* subscription worth £1,140 to help businesses maximise cut through and return on investment from their social media activity.
Sophie Scarrott, CEO Keith Scarrott Shoes, said: “The Maybe* platform has been a real game-changer for our online proposition. We use it to understand who our audience is and what products will be of greatest interest to them. By using this information we’re able to target a specific audience with our Facebook ads which draw in new shoppers to our store and our online boutique.”
Keith Scarrott’s promotion, celebrating the business’s 45th year, launched on the first day of the November lockdown to push online sales as non-essential shops were forced to re-close. All through their Maybe* account, the fashion independent targeted loyal customers with social media content, paid ads and a parallel email campaign to drive traffic and sales. The team stayed on top of questions and comments throughout the day, responding quickly, managing their social media ads, and engaging with conversations.
Zoe Knight, Commercial Insurance Specialist at NFU Mutual, said: “The success experienced by Keith Scarrott demonstrates how powerful social media activity can be, and what it can do to drive business for independent stores.
“We want to help our small business insurance customers to tap into those benefits and learn new skills to build and maintain resilience.”
Polly Barnfield, CEO of Maybe*, said: “Maybe* helps businesses use social media to sell, making it simple to succeed with social media campaigns. Keith Scarrott’s impressive results show that by building on experience and making thorough preparations, businesses can yield impressive results – even beyond their own expectations. We’re looking forward to working with NFU Mutual’s small business insurance customers as they look to use social media to drive their own sales success.”
Maybe* and NFU Mutual have teamed up to offer independent fashion retailers the following social media top tips:
Offer terms and conditions
12 months free subscription to the Maybe* ‘Engage Plus’ package from date of sign up, available until 30th April 2022. Available to new and existing NFU Mutual small business insurance customers, Commercial Select customers with a premium of up to £2,500 and Farm Essentials and Farm Select customers with a farm shop diversification. After that period if you wish to continue using the services of Maybe* a monthly charge will apply.
- Focus on a goal or aim
- Think about your tactics, and what you need to do to succeed
- Build your audience – who you want to advertise to, who is already engaging with you, and who is buying from you
- Do the preparation – create content ahead of your campaign, think about how you can best showcase your products/services and check out what the competition are doing
- Independent fashion boutique owners are increasingly using video to introduce themselves and their product, providing real human interaction and style inspiration
- Fashion retailers are seeing success using Facebook and Instagram Live to offer exclusive sales content to their social media audiences
- Social media users want to see the store environment and get a sense of the space they will be shopping in. Retailers who bring their physical experience to life via social are providing more reasons for customers to make a visit
Sophie Scarrott of Keith Scarrott Shoes, Cheltenham – NFU Mutual customer and Maybe* service user.